Dr. Anthony J. Vajda
Meet Dr. Anthony J. Vajda, PhD, NCC (He/Him)
NATIONAL CERTIFIED COUNSELOR, EMDR THERAPIST
(EVENING & WEEKEND AVAILABILITY)
Are you going through a rough patch? Seeking to understand how you got to where you are in life? Experiencing overwhelming transitions? Life can get messy and change can be overwhelming! Yet, I also believe that the process can be rewarding and contribute to our psychological growth. Through counseling, you will experience this growth, you will discover your strengths, build self-awareness, and develop helpful coping strategies. I provide counseling to adults who present with a range of mental health concerns related to anxiety, depression, life transitions, stress, trauma, sexuality, low self-esteem, culture and identity.
As a counselor who uses predominantly insight-oriented approaches, counseling typically involves exploratory and interpretive interventions, compassion and empathy, understanding past and present challenges, facilitating emotional experience, and encouraging self-awareness. I tailor my particular approach to the needs of each individual. I believe each individual has the potential to work through life problems, and that many issues develop over the course of time through our relationships and experiences. In counseling, you will work toward your goals through a safe, affirming, and empowering relationship.
Sometimes people come in knowing what they want help with other times we explore together. I have experience working with clients on anxiety, attachment, depression, trauma, mood disorders, abandonment, relationship issues, dynamics around racial or LGBTQIA+ identity, bipolar disorder, borderline and other personality disorders, chronic illness, domestic abuse, grief, men’s issues, suicidal ideation, and life transitions. I provide individual and family therapy, working with teens (14+) and adults.
Treatment Approaches include EMDR, Psychodynamic, Dialectical Behavioral (DBT), Acceptance and Commitment, and Cognitive Behavioral (CBT).
QUALIFICATIONS & SPECIALTIES
- Trained in EMDR – Specialized Trauma Treatment
- National Certified Counselor – Mental Health Therapy
- Professional Counselor, LPC Candidate, under the supervision of Rochelle Matthews Stoltzfus, MA, LPC, CDWF
- BA in Psychology, MA in Clinical-Counseling Psychology, PhD in Education with concentration in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Counseling at Alvernia University
- Bilingual – English, Spanish
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, RESEARCH, & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Dr. Vajda has been published in peer-reviewed publications, co-authored chapters in a book, presented at both the state and national level, contributed to research, and taught at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral level. Topics include:
- Developing anti-racist practices in the helping professions (book)
- Counselor education & supervision
- Social justice advocacy
- Inclusive cultural empathy for LGBTQIQ
- Dynamics in working with Latinx individuals in mental health
- Complexities of multidimensional identities
- HIV & AIDS
INVESTMENT & INSURANCE
- Self-Pay ONLY: Intake $125, Regular Therapy $100
- A few reduced rate slots available until full, request if needed. Reduced rates are offered for a 6 month period. When inquiring whether reduced rate slots are still available, please let us know what you are able to pay.
Find someone to do your growth work with. You are welcome to contact me with questions, to schedule a free 15 minute consultation to see if we would be a good fit. I would be honored to be part of your process!